Accounting and Financial Management
Dr. Awad Elsayed Awad Ibrahim
- Qualifications: PhD in Accounting - University of Portsmouth, UK (2017). MSc in Accounting (English Section) - Cairo University, Egypt, (2012). BSc in Accounting (English Section) - Mansoura University, Egypt, (2005).
- Role Title: Lecturer of Accounting
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE (Office: Portland Building, 3.46)
- Telephone: Office: 023 92 844235 - Mobile: 07494846428
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Accounting and Financial Management
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
Awad Ibrahim has joined Portsmouth Business School as a Lecturer of accounting since December 2016. I worked before as an associate lecturer at Birkbeck College, University of London. Prior to that, I spent 3 years at the Open University in Egypt as an assistant lecturer where I taught financial accounting, management accounting, cost accounting, and other accounting modules. I also worked as a full-time accountant at the Egyptian Agricultural Bank for 9 years.
In 2012, my MSc Thesis research paper was awarded the “Best Paper Award” from the European International Academic Conference held in Italy. In 2016, my paper “Economic growth & cost stickiness” was awarded the “Award for Excellence” from Emerald.
Regarding the funding, I won a Ph.D. bursary of £14,057 annually for three years from Plymouth University in 2015 for my research project “Economic Consequences of Risk Disclosure Quality”. Next, I won a Ph.D. bursary award from Portsmouth Business School in November 2017. I am the first supervisor for this bursary. My proposal is entitled “Economic feasibility of Big Data adoption: the influence on risk reporting and risk management quality”. I have also won an internal fund from Portsmouth Business School for £5000 in 2016. Recently, I won the IKB Bursary from Portsmouth Business School in December 2017, which allows me to invite an international researcher to come for one month to conduct a research together to be published in a highly ranked journal (we target Journal of Corporate Finance).
Currently, I am a reviewer for Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, Int. J. of Accounting, Auditing, and Performance Evaluation, and a reviewer for IIMB Management Review.
I am also a member of American Accounting Association (AAA), British Accounting and Finance Association (BAFA), Institute of Management Accountants (IMA), and European Accounting Association (EAA).
Finally, I have published 7 papers and there are another 5 under review and another 3 still in progress. I have also attended many international conferences such as Accounting is Big Data in New York in Sept 2017.
Operational Management Accounting (U21062)
Financial Decision Making and Control (U21782)
Business Analysis and Decision Making (U23367)
Financial Management (U25291)
In addition to the supervision of MSc and PhD students
I have published and presented more than 10 research papers in top ranked academic journals in different topics including:
1 Financial Accounting
- Financial Reporting (e.g., Risk Disclosure)
- Earnings Management (e.g., Real EM, Income Smoothing, Classification Shifting)
- Corporate Governance
- Capital Structure
2 Management Accounting
- Cost Stickiness
- Cost Behaviour
- Balanced Scorecard
3 Artificial Intelligence in Accounting
- Convergence of Big Data and Accounting
- Big Data & Development of Management Accountants Roles
- Data Visualisation (Tableau)