International Students

UoP International Festival of Culture

If you are looking to work in the UK during your studies or after graduation it is important that you check the visa regulations. Unfortunately, we cannot provide you with in-depth immigration advice personalised to your own circumstances but we can suggest some information to point you in the right direction. 

A selection of websites with information and advice for international students and graduates looking to work in the UK are provided below. We also have guides and resources for you to use at the Careers and Employability Centre, including some that you can take away with you.

Working in the UK:

  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Student Affairs is the UK's national advisory body for serving the interests of international students. Contains in-depth advice on everything about life in the UK as an international student from visa information to the practicalities of day-to-day living. UKCISA also has a student advice line available to ring Monday to Friday. 
  • Targetjobs - International students’ guide to working in the UK with information and advice on visa conditions and job search tactics. 
  • NARIC – Designated national agency responsible for providing information, advice and expert opinion on qualifications worldwide. Here you can find information on how your previous qualifications may be recognised in the UK.
  • UK Border Agency – This is the UK Government's official visa and immigration information for working in the UK. 
  • List of accredited imigration advisers - Search by region to find immigration advice near where you live and to find immigration advisors who specialise in particular types of immigration, asylum or nationality cases.

Have a read of our blog on looking for part-time work alongside your study as an international student or alternatively check out our video guide:


Making applications:

Information and advice on writing a CV, completing application forms and going for interviews is available in the making applications section. If you would like further support you can drop-in to the Careers and Employability Centre and talk to one of our experienced Information and Employment Advisers or make an appointment with a careers adviser for one-to-one advice.