Centre for European and International Studies Research
The Campaign for Women's Suffrage: National and International Perspectives
27th Annual Women’s History Network Conference, 2018
University of Portsmouth, UK
Friday 31st August –Saturday 1st September 2018
This conference is being held to commemorate the centenary of the granting of the parliamentary vote in Britain to certain categories of women aged 30 and over on 6th February 1918.
Established scholars, postgraduate researchers, independent scholars, museum curators, local history groups and practitioners from a wide range of disciplines researching women’s suffrage will speak on topics that may include:
- nineteenth and twentieth-century campaigns for women’s suffrage
- biographies and autobiographical writing
- leadership and women’s suffrage
- political activism and political parties
- tactics and methods of campaigners
- race, class, age, sexuality and disability
- the arts, the avant garde and women’s suffrage
- film and media
- social reform
- women’s suffrage in the regions
- men, gender and women’s suffrage
- the writing of suffrage history
- winning the vote
- war, peace and women’s suffrage
- reactions to the 1918 Act
- impact of the 1918 Act on inter-war politics and beyond
- women and citizenship.
Download a programme: Suffrage Conference Programme 2018
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is expected that a publication, to be edited by June Purvis and June Hannam, will be forthcoming from a selection of the papers.
Book your place through the university's online store:
There are a limited number of bursaries available for postgraduate students. There are also concession rates for students/low income.
If you are a postgraduate student and wish to be considered for a bursary, then please submit an application on one page A4 to email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline of Friday 11 May.
You will then be informed if your application is successful and given further information on how to book.