Centre for European and International Studies Research
Mr Blake Seares
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) American Studies (First class, University of Portsmouth); BSc (Hons) Open Degree (Open University); MRes Humanities and Social Sciences (University of Portsmouth)
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Centre for European and International Studies Research
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I am a PhD student at the University of Portsmouth studying the development of Japanese Americans as a 'model minority' in the United States. My research includes analysis of the internment of Japanese Americans using oral history archives, and understanding the involvement of Japanese Americans in the Civil Rights Movement.
I graduated with a First class BA (Hons) American Studies degree in 2014. My dissertation project explored US foreign policy with Japan. Following a placement with the British Council teaching English in France, I returned to the University of Portsmouth to undertake an MRes degree in American Studies, developing my undergraduate dissertation to explore the history and identity of Japanese Americans. I was awarded a fully-funded PhD by the University in order to continue research into Japanese Americans, starting in October 2017. As part of my PhD, I teach first- and second-year undergraduate students, and work at University open days.
I have also achieved a BSc (Hons) Open Degree through distance learning with the Open University, and am currently studying Japanese. I am a member of the British Association for American Studies (BAAS) and am published on the U.S. Studies Online (USSO) forum for new writing.
- The experience of Japanese Americans in internment camps
- The development of the Yellow Power movement
- The relationship between Yellow Power and other civil rights groups
- The development of Japanese Americans as a ‘model minority’
- Citizenship, Race and Belonging network (CRaB)