Centre for European and International Studies Research
Mr Vladimir Bortun
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Centre for European and International Studies Research
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I obtained a BA and an MA in Philosophy at the University of Bucharest in 2008 and 2010 respectively. In 2014, I graduated with distinction the MA European Studies at the University of Portsmouth with a dissertation on the rhetorical de-radicalisation of the Left Bloc in Portugal between 2009 and 2011.
I am currently in the second year of my PhD at the University of Portsmouth under the supervision of Professor Wolfram Kaiser, Dr Karen Heard-Laureote and Dr Nora Siklodi. I am exploring the transnational networking and cooperation among new left parties in Southern Europe in the context of the ongoing Eurozone crisis, namely among Bloco (Portugal), Syriza (Greece) and Podemos (Spain). I am particularly interested in whether the transnational cooperation among these parties has increased since 2009, given their broadly similar economic and political circumstances, and whether that cooperation has, in turn, influenced their own programme and strategy.
- European left, transnational party cooperation, neoliberalism, European economic integration, former socialist regimes in Central and Eastern Europe
- Current research project: Transnational cooperation of new left parties in Southern Europe since 2009: Bloco, Syriza and Podemos
- Transnational Europe