Centre for European and International Studies Research
Ms Julie Gilbert
- Qualifications: BS English Literature (Central Michigan University), MA History (American Public University)
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Centre for European and International Studies Research
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Working Title - Workhouse Culture: The differences and similarities of workhouses throughout England, and the paupers who lived therein.
My PhD research will investigate the experience of paupers in England from roughly 1834-1847; a tumultuous time during the transition of the workhouse from the Old Poor Law to the New Poor Law. I will focus on many aspects of workhouse culture, as well as differences and similarities between workhouses throughout England during that time. By utilizing a specific cohort of the poor, I hope to be able to provide a clear view into the lives of those who suffered the dreaded workhouse.
- First Supervisor – Dr Karl Bell
- Second Supervisor – Dr Brad Beaven