School of Mathematics and Physics
Dr Maria Pickett
- Qualifications: BSc, PhD
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Lion Gate Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 3HF UK
- Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 6361
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Department of Mathematics
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I obtained a BSc in Mathematical Sciences in 2001 and a PhD in Applied Mathematics in 2006 from Dublin City University.
In the academic year 2005/2006 I worked as a lecturer in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at the University of Limerick. Following this, I was awarded a two year Postdoctoral Fellowship from IRCSET (Irish Research Council for Science, Engineering and Technology) and worked with Professor Natalia Kopteva, University of Limerick, Ireland.
I joined the University or Portsmouth as a lecturer in the Department of Mathematics in September 2010.
My research interests are in the area of numerical methods for singularly perturbed differential equations.
- Partial Differential Equations (M311, L6)
- Numerical Analysis (M231, L5)
- Linear Algebra (M112, L4)
- I supervise final year projects in the area of numerical analysis
- I am the BSc Mathematics Level 5 Year Leader
My research interests are in the area of numerical methods for singularly perturbed differential equations. These equations typically involve a small positive parameter multiplying the highest order derivative; as this parameter takes smaller and smaller values, solutions tend to exhibit boundary and/or interior layers. These are narrow regions in which the solution of the differential equation changes very rapidly. Special numerical methods must be employed in order to obtain accurate computed solutions to these problems.