Corporate Governance

Complainants who are not a student at the University

The University has a Student Complaint procedure for current students but we realise that there might be times when someone other than a student may feel it is necessary to complain about something related to the University.

Any member of the general public whether living in Portsmouth or not, including parents of a student at the University, or a former University student, may complain using the following procedure.

In the first instance, you can contact the University’s Complaints team on 02392 843642 or by email at .  Staff in the Complaints team will discuss your complaint with you and will contact other members of staff to try to resolve your concerns.

If your complaint relates to students in your community, you may wish to contact the Student and Neighbourhood Liaison Service directly either by telephoning 02392 843214 or by email at We have a firm commitment to solving this type of complaint through goodwill and co-operation.

We hope that most complaints can be resolved in this informal way, but if that is not possible, you can still make a Formal Complaint.

Formal complaints

If you wish to lodge a Formal Complaint you should write to the staff in the Complaints team providing the following information:

  1. the background to your complaint,
  2. details of the informal attempts you have made at resolving the complaint and who you discussed the matter with in the University,
  3. why the outcome of the informal attempts is not considered to be satisfactory, and
  4. the desired outcome of your complaint.

The Complaints team will decide whether, on the basis of the information contained in your complaint, an investigation into the matter is warranted.  If an investigation is not warranted, because the Complaints team believes you have not exhausted the informal complaints procedure, you will be told within ten working days of receipt of your complaint.

If an investigation is warranted, you will be told that one will be carried out and given a date by which you should receive a report on your complaint.  The investigation will be carried out by a relevant member of staff from the area from which your complaint arises, within 30 working days of the date that your complaint is referred to that individual.  Once the investigation is complete, you will receive a written report of findings and conclusions including, if appropriate, recommendations for action to resolve the complaint.

Where the report contains actions for the University in resolving the complaint, the member of staff charged to look at the recommendations will do so within ten working days of the date of the report and will decide whether to follow the recommendations or take other action to remedy the complaint. You will be sent a letter outlining his / her decision, at which point the matter is closed.

Withdrawing your formal complaint

You may withdraw your formal complaint at any time, at which time the matter is closed.

Further Information

Further information on how to make a complaint using this procedure is available from the Complaints team by emailing or by telephoning 02392 843103.