Human Resources

Brexit Staff FAQs

I am a non-UK EU national. Do I need a visa to continue working at the University?

Nothing has changed in relation to your immigration status or ability to work in the UK. If there were to be any changes to your ability to work in the UK in the future, we would not expect these to come into place until formal agreements have been reached in relation to issues such as freedom of movement.

I am a Norwegian, Icelandic, Liechtenstein or Swiss national, how am I affected?

As with EU nationals, there is no impact on your employment status as a result of the referendum.

Will I have to pay for medical care?

Nothing has changed in relation to your ability to receive NHS medical care in the UK. Again if there were to be any changes in the future relating to access to medical care, we would not expect these to come into place until formal agreements had been reached regarding the status of EU citizens in the UK.

What support services are available for employees?

Employees can access personal support from the University’s Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) on a confidential basis. Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days a year for staff.

Where can employees go for further information about visas and immigration?

HR will be able to provide general information via the following email address:

The University will continue to assess what further support can be made available.

What is the immediate impact of the EU Referendum?

There is no immediate impact on the rights of nationals from the UK living in the European Economic Area (EEA). The UK remains a part of the European Union (EU), and therefore the EEA, until the negotiation of a withdrawal agreement. From the point that the UK notifies the decision stating its intention to withdraw, the UK has two years in which to leave the EU, unless otherwise agreed. It is widely believed that the full two years will be needed for the UK to negotiate its withdrawal from the EU although there is no minimum stated deadline.

As the UK is still part of the EU this means that UK nationals and their family still have the right to live and work, study, be self-employed or live self-sufficiently in EEA countries.

Non- EEA family members of UK nationals also continue to have the same rights to live and work in EEA countries while the UK remains in the EU.

What happens when the UK leaves the EU?

The EU has not yet announced the position that it will take in relation to UK nationals, and non-EEA family members of UK nationals, living in Europe after the UK leaves the EU.

It is widely anticipated that some kind of transitional arrangements will be introduced to enable UK nationals, and their non-EEA family members, who are already living in Europe to continue to live and work in those countries.  The UK government has so far released the following statement: “When we do leave the EU, we fully expect that the legal status of EU nationals living in the UK, and that of UK nationals in EU member states, will be properly protected.”  The full statement can be read here.

Can I apply for any documentation?

Some UK nationals living and working in EU countries may wish to apply for documentation which they believe may make their position more secure once the UK leaves the EU.