Human Resources

My responsibilities

The information below explains the expectations the University has about the behaviour and actions of staff members.

Personal information

The University needs to process personal information about you as a staff member in order to carry out necessary administration, this includes your home address, emergency contact details and current bank details

It is the responsibility of each member of staff to ensure that your personal information is kept up-to-date. You can do this via Employee Self Service (ESS).

Probation period

When joining the University, new employees will be given a probationary period. This is a formal structured procedure aimed at assessing and reviewing the employee's performance, capability and suitability for the role. The probation process is intended to support you in your new role and to highlight training and development needs or measures required to help you to fulfil your new responsibilities.

Declaration of interests

The University’s Declaration of Interests Policy states that all staff must make a declaration of interests if, having read the policy, they find that they have an actual or potential conflict of interest between their private interests and their employment by the University.

If you need to make a declaration of interest then please complete the online form (please note that you will need to be logged into your University Gmail account in order to access the form).

My performance

The University provides support and development to ensure that people can achieve their best and play their part in meeting the goals and objectives of their team in a way that is consistent with the University’s vision and values. Your manager should be able to assist you in managing your performance, and provide additional support where required.

Conduct at work

The University expects all members of staff, including others who may be working on behalf of the University, to  behave in an acceptable manner - treating others with courtesy, respect and consideration – and conducting themselves professionally when interacting with members of the University community. We are fully committed to creating and sustaining a positive and mutually supportive working environment where staff can work collaboratively and productively together, and where staff are equally valued and respected.

The University of Portsmouth is committed to achieving excellence in the creation and communication of knowledge. The information underpinning that knowledge must be accessible when required and protected from theft, loss or damage. However, all information is not of equal value or importance and the steps necessary for protecting University information must be commensurate with risk, and compliant with applicable legislation. The Information Security Policy sets out the core regulations that must be followed by all users of University of Portsmouth information systems.

The Employee Alcohol & Drugs Policy covers both the use and misuse of alcohol or drugs that may impair an individual’s performance or affect their behaviour. The term ‘drugs’ has been used in this Policy to include all drugs and substances, legal or illegal, which adversely affect behaviour or performance.

Grievances are concerns, problems or complaints raised by a staff member with managers regarding working conditions or relationships with colleagues. It is clearly in the University’s and employee’s interests to resolve problems early before they escalate into major difficulties. You can download the Grievance procedure and FAQs for more information.

It is the policy of the University that all enclosed spaces (including University vehicles) and at entrances to buildings will be entirely smoke free. Staff, students, customers, contractors and visitors are asked to respect the rights of others to enjoy a smoke-free environment.The University prohibits electronic cigarettes in the same way as smoking. Click to read the University Smoke Free Policy.

The University Equality and Diversity Unit publishes a wide range of policies and reports including the Dignity and Respect Policy, Religion and Belief Policy and Equality and Diversity: Staff rights and responsibilities.

Staff Handbooks (These are currently available as Academic and University Tutor)

Find out what to do if you are required to use vehicles on University business

Working with specific client groups

When working with specific client groups (such as children or vulnerable adults, or with NHS patients) there are specific processes which must be followed.  The University is required to carry out Disclosure and Barring checks with the UK Government’s Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) on individuals in specific circumstances dictated by UK legislation.

A Research Passport is the mechanism for non-NHS staff (that is, higher education institution employees who have no contractual arrangement with the NHS) to obtain an Honorary Research Contract or Letter of Access

Travelling overseas on University business

Without exception, overseas travel must be formally approved in principle by the Head of Department and/or Line Manager. This is by means of an authorised FIN1 (staff) or FIN30 (student). If the trip is being financed by an external organisation and therefore does not require a FIN1/ FIN30, authorisation from the Head of Department and/or Line Manager must still be sought.

Please see the University Overseas Travel section for full information and guidance on the procedures for travelling overseas on University business.

Dealing with situations

The following information will help you to deal with unexpected situations.