Human Resources

Recruitment guidance and the contract process for employing temporary or casual staff

If you haven't recruited for a casual or temporary member of staff before and require some adviceon the process, please contact

If you have recruited before and understand the process, you just need to complete a Casual or Temporary Employee Requisition Form, adding a job description/person specification and send to .The advert will be used to promote your casual or temporary role through the Careers and Employability Service (previosuly known as Purple Door)

The Careers and Employability Service offers 2 options: 

Online Jobs Board- an advert will be placed online for students and / or graduates depending on the role and as requested by managers. Applicants will apply directly to managers as detailed in the advert.                 

Graduate Recruitment Consultancy (GRC)- for graduate level roles, an email will be sent out to final-year students & graduates who are registered with the GRC. Applicants will apply directly to managers as detailed in the advert. GRC do not select or match candidates for these roles.

Suitable candidate already identified

If you have already identified a suitable candidate for this role, who has the essential skills (e.g. requirement for research, specialist secretarial skills etc), you may offer the role to them without advertising the role with the Careers and Employability Service.

The Contract of Employment

In order for HR to raise a casual Contract of Employment, your already identified or newly recruited candidate, will be required to complete the employee part of the Variable Hours Employee Appointment Form (includes HESA form). The following documents also need to be completed:

Once this has been done, the new employee is required to take these forms to the employing department, including their passport for photocopying (you need to sign to confirm that you have seen the original passport on the copy) and any supporting Visa information.

Important information for recruiting managers

Please review the completed Right to Work Document Check , HESA and Staff Monitoring Forms to ensure that your candidate can be employed in the role.  Once this has been done, the completed forms and information should be scanned and sent to

Please note: The bank account and tax status forms should be sent/taken directly to the Payroll Dept, 2nd Floor, University House.

*Internal only