Human Resources

Non EEA/UK Visiting Academics: Permitted Activities

A visitor is a person who is coming to the UK, usually for up to six months, for a temporary purpose, for example as a tourist, to visit friends or family or to carry out a business activity.

Visitors cannot work or study in the UK unless this is allowed by the permitted activities that are set out in these Visitor Rules within Appendix V of the Immigration Rules.

Permitted activities must not amount to the visitor taking employment, or doing work which amounts to them filling a role or providing short-term cover for a role within the University. In addition, where the applicant is already paid and employed outside of the UK, they must remain so.

The visitor must not receive payment for any activities undertaken in the UK, except reasonable expenses to cover the cost of their travel and subsistence or in Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE).

1. Standard Visit Visa (valid for up to 6 months)

General activities

A visitor may:

a)   attend meetings, conferences, seminars, interviews;

b)   give a one-off or short series of talks and speeches provided these are not organised as commercial events and will not make a profit for the organiser;

c)   negotiate and sign deals and contracts;

d)   carry out site visits and inspections;

e)   be briefed on the requirements of a UK based customer, provided any work for the customer is done outside of the UK.

Science, research and academia activities

Scientists and researchers may:

a)  gather information and facts for a specific project which directly relates to their employment overseas;

b)  share knowledge or advise on an international project that is being led from the UK, provided the visitor is not carrying out research in the UK.

Academics maybe granted a visa valid for up to 12 months if they are visiting the UK to:

a)  take part in formal exchange arrangements with UK counterparts (including doctors);

b)  carry out research for their own purposes if they are on sabbatical leave from their home institution;

c)  if they are an eminent senior doctor or dentist, take part in research, teaching or clinical practice provided this does not amount to filling a permanent teaching post.

Professors from overseas academic institutions accompanying students to the UK as part of a study abroad programme, may provide a small amount of teaching to the students at the host organisation. However this must not amount to filling a permanent teaching role for that institution.

2.   Permitted Paid Engagements

The following types of permitted paid engagement are relevant to the University:

a)  an academic who is highly qualified within his or her field of expertise may examine students and/or participate in or chair selection panels, if they have been invited by a UK Higher Education Institution or a UK based research or arts organisation as part of that institution or organisation’s quality assurance processes.

b)  an expert may give lectures in their subject area, if they have been invited by a UK Higher Education Institution; or a UK based research or arts organisation provided this does not amount to filling a teaching position  for the host organisation.