Human Resources

Arriving from overseas

The following pages are designed to help new members of staff who are coming to work for the University from overseas. They contain additional information about practical issues that may arise in the context of your move to Portsmouth.

You may also wish to refer to the Information for International Families section of My Port , although aimed primarily at students, My Port contains useful additional information. In addition, your colleagues in your faculty or department might also be happy to help.

Visas and immigration

  • Support for non EEA nationals applying for their visa
  • Immigration fee reimbursement for those under Tier 2 and Tier 5 Sponsorship
  • Guidance for Non-EEA Applicants Working at and Visiting the University of Portsmouth


  • Short-stay accommodation
  • Long term accommodation
  • Council Tax and Utilities

Registering in the UKĀ 

  • Registering with the Police
  • Healthcare
  • Electoral Register


  • Transferring money to the UK
  • Banking
  • Insurance
  • Income Tax and National Insurance

Childcare and schools

Full-time compulsory education applies to children aged five to 16 years (although children will often begin school at the age of four).