Economics and Finance
Dr Gianpiero Torrisi
- Qualifications: BSC, MA, PhD, FHEA
- Role Title: Senior Research Fellow
- Address: Richmond Building Portland Street Portsmouth PO1 3DE
- Telephone: 02392844821
- Email: Gianpiero.Torrisi@port.ac.uk
- Department: Economics and Finance
- Faculty: Portsmouth Business School
I am a Senior Research Fellow in Economics at Portsmouth Business School, University of Portsmouth. I graduated in Economics (BSc. Hons., University of Catania, Italy) and hold a PhD in Public Economics (University of Catania, Italy) and a MA in International Political Economy (Newcastle University).
Prior to joining the University of Portsmouth, I worked as a Research Associate at the Centre for Urban and Regional Development Studies (Newcastle University) being involved, between others, in the Spatial Economic Research Centre (London School of Economic)’s project “Devolution, Spatial Economic Policy and Performance” and in the project “Decentralisation and Public Service Provisions: The Impact of Efficiency Outcomes” financed by “Department of Communities and Local Government”.
- Applied Economics
- Public Sector Economics (unit co-ordinator)
- Quantitative Economics (unit co-ordinator)
My actual research interests concern the link between decentralisation, spatial economic policy and spatial economic disparities. A related interest concerns corruption’s socio-economic causes and consequences with particular respect to public goods provision and to the economic impact of infrastructures.