Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
Ms Jessica Reece
- Qualifications: BSc (Hons) Criminology and Criminal Justice (First )(University of Portsmouth, 2012-2015) and MSc Criminology and Criminal Justice (Distinction) (University of Portsmouth, 2015-2016)
- Role Title: PhD Student
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Institute of Criminal Justice Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I am currently a PhD bursary student at the University of Portsmouth after completing both my BSc and MSc degrees at the institution. My research interests involve the critical analysis of entanglements between criminal and social justice, particularly the criminogeneity of social deprivation. This interest has been developed through not only my academic background but also my work in the public sector, undertaken throughout the course of my studies.
My current research project is entitled: "Situating Social Justice within the Criminal Justice System: A pragmatic study into the criminogeneity of social deprivation and the role of political engagement". The research critically assesses the multi-dimensional nature of the relationships between social deprivation and crime in England, while considering the role of political engagement, locating them within the wider socio-political context and debates surrounding social justice. Using secondary data analysis as the main methodological component, this study uses statistics from many sources including the English Indices of Deprivation 2015, police recorded crime, the Crime Survey for England and Wales and the Electoral Commission.
The application of criminological theory to research into the complex interrelationships between criminal justice and social justice.
Current research project title: "Situating Social Justice within the Criminal Justice System: A pragmatic study into the criminogeneity of social deprivation and the role of political engagement".
- Security, Citizenship and Social Justice
- Sociology and Social Theory