Supporting international students.
We recognise and understand the cultural changes you may experience when coming to the UK and offer a range of both academic and personal support tailored to your needs.
We take great care to help you settle in to your new way of life within the University and the local community. Our support begins before you arrive in Portsmouth and continues throughout your studies. If you have any questions about support, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
International Student Advisers
We are available to give help and advice on any issues you wish to discuss. We are also here to support you as you settle into life in Portsmouth and the University. We provide extensive support to make your time here as stress-free and enjoyable as possible, enabling you to focus on your studies. We can advise and assist you with:
- opening a UK bank account
- confidential advice
- social events and excursions
- referral point for other support services within the University
- Police registration appointments
- student visa extensions: student visas and dependants visas only
- general employment rules
- coach trips and social events
- advice on how to produce invitation letters for family and friends' visits to the UK
- visiting other countries: obtaining a Tourist Visa
- registering with a doctor
- Police liaison and advice on safety and security
- how to join cultural societies and sport clubs through the Students' Union
English Language Support
We offer classes in They will help you to adjust to the English university system and ensure that you are fully equipped to write essays and reports and to make effective presentations. Classes are free of charge to all international students during the first year of studies and are available in:
- essay writing (including referencing and citations)
- literature review writing
- dissertation writing
- giving a presentation
- critical thinking and writing
- technical writing
- grammar and academic style
On your arrival in Portsmouth, our Orientation Programme will help you to settle in and make new friends. The programme will help you to find your way around, find out about services on offer, introduce you to staff and other students, help you with any queries and provide you with a University Information Pack. Find out more about orientation.
To ensure you are prepared for the world of work when you graduate, we offer an extensive range of career planning guidance and resources. Not only will you graduate with a good degree, you will be ready for a rewarding career with the skills and attributes needed in the competitive global job market.
Find out more about the support available to you from our Careers and Employability Service.