Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for the Study of a Transnational Europe
About the Centre
The new CESTE2 project, which will run for 3 years from September 2017 to September 2020 and will retain CESTE’s focus on cross-border phenomena of European and EU governance but this time the Centre aims to address crucial themes in current EU politics, European integration and disintegration. While retaining CESTE’s focus on cross-border phenomena of European and EU governance and proven three stream structure, these streams have been developed, both intellectually and in terms of outputs and outcomes. Moreover, the streams are linked by a shared interest in disintegration trends in the EU, seek to strengthen teaching innovation, and enhance our engagement with organised groups and citizens.
- Exploring narratives about European integration, led by Wolfram Kaiser;
- Societal Actors and (trans)national networking in a disintegrating Europe stream, led by Nora Siklodi;
- Improving our understanding of global actors’ narratives about and engagement with European integration and the EU, led by Ed Stoddard.
The streams are linked by a shared interest in disintegration trends in the EU and seek to strengthen teaching innovation and enhance our engagement with organised groups and citizens.
Building on past achievement: CESTE
The University of Portsmouth was awarded a Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence in August 2013. Our chosen title Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence for the Study of a Transnational Europe reflects prior research success within the field of European and Area Studies, particularly on transnational dimensions of contemporary Europe. In this field the University of Portsmouth with its Centre of European and International Studies Research was recognized in the 2008 British Research Assessment to have the greatest “research power” of all British universities. The award of Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence further corroborates the international quality and standing of CEISR’s research.
Our objectives were:
- TO STIMULATE EXCELLENCE IN TEACHING, RESEARCH AND REFLECTION IN EUROPEAN INTEGRATION STUDIES, WITHIN AND OUTSIDE THE UNIVERSITY.
- TO ENHANCE KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS
- TO EXPLOIT MULTI-DISCIPLINARY RESOURCES
- TO ACHIEVE AN OPENNESS TO CIVIL SOCIETY
About the Jean Monnet programme
For general information about the EU’s Jean Monnet programme see here.