Portsmouth School of Architecture
Dr Elizabeth Tuson
- Qualifications: PhD, MArch, BArch (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2104
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
Since completing my doctorate on British Art Direction between 1955 and 1975, I have worked in the School of Architecture as an Architect and Cultural Historian since 2001.
I run a Diploma 2 studio Architecture, Culture and Identity with Tina Wallbridge (Architect and Artist) that focuses on the relationship of Culture and Design. I am Director of Studies for a number of PhD students whose research focuses on Culture and Identity in Architecture.
In terms of architectural research, I am interested in interdisciplinary relationships between design and the re-evaluation of design practitioners and theorists with relation to social and cultural change.
My cross-disciplinary research interests focus on British culture, architecture, and cinema from the 1950s to the 1980s.
I currently have a number of sole and joint projects in progress, including:
- Tuson, E. (In preparation). The Eyes of the Director: British Art Direction.
Teaching Studio Publications
- Tuson, E. & Wallbridge, T. (Eds.). Short stories from the studio – a collection of Dip 2 student authored narratives and storyboards drawn from the Architecture, Culture and Identity Studio.
- Tuson, E. & Wallbridge, T. (Eds.). London narratives: culture and identity – an edited collection of student authored illustrated essays based on Dip 2 student theses from the Architecture, Culture and Identity Studio.
- Holland, J. & Tuson, E. (In preparation). The English Sensibility of Oliver Hill and Oliver Messel.
- Holland, J. & Tuson, E. (In preparation). The Wohnkultur of Oliver Hill and Alfred Junge.
- Tuson, E. (In preparation). John Box: a Master of the Pastoral Mode. To be submitted to Visual Culture in Britain. Based on a recorded interview with John Box conducted at his home.
- Tuson, E. (In preparation). Losey’s designers: Carmen Dillon and Richard MacDonald. To be submitted to Screen.
- Tuson, E. (In preparation). Voytek: a Master Builder of the Stage.
- Tuson, E. (In preparation). Three Masters of Armchair Theatre: Gorton, O’Brien, Voytek.