Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Qualifications: Laurea Specialistica in Architettura
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2767
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I am an architect focussed on urban design. I am a Lecturer in Architecture at the University of Portsmouth, having joined Portsmouth School of Architecture in September 2013. My research interests focus on public spaces, mobility and low-cost housing in contemporary city through the lens of design and democracy. I have a deep interest in urban transformation processes through a multidisciplinary approach (spatial, economic, social, environmental and political).
Thanks to my previous experience as a researcher at LSE Cities - Urban Age, I developed excellent knowledge in the techniques of quantitative and qualitative urban analysis, with a strong emphasis on the methodologies of visual representation of complex systems of data.
Alongside my current academic activity, I am director of NoWall Architecture, a young architectural practice based in London and Bogotá.
Throughout my professional career I have designed many projects in both the private and public sectors, including: master plans, urban regenerations, public spaces, parks and multifunctional buildings. I take part regularly in architectural and urban design competitions and have been actively involved in every architectural stage from conception to construction.
- Tutor, BA3 Architecture Studio
- Lecturer, BA2 Unit 230 Representation and Communication
- Contributions to BA1 Unit 130 Representation and Communication
- Contributions to BA3 Computer Assisted Drawing workshops
My research interests focus on public spaces, mobility and low-cost housing in contemporary city through the lens of design and democracy. He has a deep interest in urban transformation processes through a multidisciplinary approach (spatial, economic, social, environmental and political). I conduce in-depth research and data analysis including numerical and geo-referenced data analysis. I have extended knowledge in the methodologies of visual representation of complex systems of data.
My most recent research projects and research contributions are focussed on cities and socio-economic dynamics and urban environmental studies.
I had the role of lead researcher in the following publications:
- Data Section of: Burdett, Ricky and Sudjic, Deyan, (eds.) (2011) Living in the endless city. Phaidon, London, UK, pp. 252-291.
- Rode, Philipp, Keim, Christian, Robazza, Guido, Viejo, Pablo and Schofield, James, (eds.) (2012) Cities and Energy. Urban Morphology and Residential Heat Energy Demand. Urban Age.
- Robazza, Guido and Grobberio Simone, (eds.) (2004) TransMilenio. Trasporto Collettivo e Trasformazione Urbana a Bogotá DC. IUAV.
I also contributed to the research of the following publications:
- Burdett, Ricky, Ovink, Henk and Hajer, Maarten, (eds.) (2011) The tale of two regions. A comparison between the metropolitan areas of South East England and the Randstad in Holland. LSE Cities.
- Burdett, Ricky, Taylor, Myfanwy and Kaasa, Adam (ed.) (2011) Hong Kong: Cities, Health and Well-Being. Urban Age.
- Burdett, Ricky, (ed.) (2009) Istanbul: City of Intersections. Urban Age.
- Rode, Philipp, Burdett, Ricky and Soares Gonçalves, Joana Carla (2011) Buildings: investing in energy and resource efficiency. In: United Nations Environment Programme, (corp. ed.) Towards a green economy: pathways to sustainable development and poverty eradication. United Nations Environment Programme, pp. 331-373.