Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Qualifications: PGCLTHE, MA PP, Dip. Arch, BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer; Course Leader – BA (Hons) Architecture
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 2101
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Portsmouth School of Architecture
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I joined the School in 2007 as an Architect coming from private architectural practice. I have a longstanding relationship with the School having taught within the design studio and contributed to the representation and communication team since 2000.
My approach to the study of architecture focuses upon the phenomena of architecture and a tectonic manifestation of architectural ideas. This is especially evident in my postgraduate design studio (the Emergent Studio) where the key themes of travel, transgression, cultural understanding and representation are used to empower learning. This is the foundation of my research interests.
I have worked professionally as architect on a number of well-known historic buildings in the UK and specialist educational buildings in the Channel Islands. I am now a part of the School of Architecture’s Project Office (RIBA chartered practice), which combines aspects of architectural practice, community engagement and associated research. With the most recent project the South East Costal Communities Project.
I currently teach on both undergraduate and postgraduate Architecture and Interior Design courses within the School.
Undergraduate responsibilities include:
- Year Coordinator:
- BA Hons Architecture (Level 4)
- Unit Coordinator:
- Design Introduction (U101)
- Architectural Design Introduction (102)
- Architectural Design Application (U103)
- Technology Introduction (Unit 110)
- Representation & Communication (Unit 130)
- BA3 Dissertation Tutor
Postgraduate responsibilities include:
- MArch 1 Emergent Design Studio
- MArch 2 Emergent Design Studio
Academic roles include:
- Departmental Erasmus Coordinator
- Extenuating Circumstances Officer
- ASDAC Liaison Officer
- Personal Tutor (Undergraduate and Postgraduate)
Faculty roles include:
- The Faculty of Creative and Cultural Industries Graduate Shows Departmental Representative
University roles include:
- Member, Universities Academic Council
- Research Area: Representation and drawing techniques.
- Research Area: Travel, place and cultural understanding.
- Publication: ‘Representational Techniques’ which is due for publication early in 2015 (Bloomsbury Press)
- Practice Orientated research: Project Office in collaborative work with South East Coastal Communities (SECC) Summer Interns Project, and the St Faiths Project with the Portsmouth Diocese.
- Pedagogic Research: Investigation into the links between the NSS (National Students Survey) and understanding of feedback.
- Founder member of the JØRN Utzon Research Network and member of the Steering Group.