Self-funded PhD Opportunities
Responses to cold water immersion
- Application end date: Applications accepted all year round
- Funding Availability: Self-funded PhD students only
- Department: Department of Sport and Exercise Science
- PhD Supervisor: Dr Clare Eglin (email@example.com)
- Responses to cold water immersion - This research area focuses on survival during cold water immersion. Relevant topics include factors affecting the initial cardio-respiratory responses to cold water immersion, swim failure and hypothermia (e.g. water temperature, exercise, clothing, area exposed, habituation and medicine/drugs).
- Peripheral vascular response to cold challenges - This research area relates to the cold sensitivity observed in individuals with non-freezing cold injury, Raynaud's phenomenon and those regularly exposed to the cold (e.g. windsurfers). Appropriate research topics include interventions to improve rewarming following a cold challenge in cold sensitive individuals and comparison of the control of skin blood flow in cold sensitive compared to normal individuals using iontophoresis of vasoactive agents.