School of Art, Design and Performance
- Qualifications: PGCE (PCET), MA, BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer – BA (Hons) Graphic Design
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth, PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 3796
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Art, Design and Performance
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
I graduated from Coventry University in 1999 with a BA(Hons) in Graphic Design. I have worked in industry as both a full-time and freelance practitioner, predominantly within the fields of packaging and branding. I was awarded a PGCE in post-compulsory education and training from the University of Greenwich in 2005, and a Masters in Graphic Design with Distinction from the London College of Communication in 2013. I have lectured at various institutions on a part-time basis, joining the University of Portsmouth as a full-time lecturer in 2010. I regularly publish visual research and self-initiated projects to a personal online platform, graphicamusing.
- Delivering lectures, seminars, tutorials, and workshops across all years of the BA(hons) Graphic Design course in relation to the following units: level 4: Introduction to Graphic Design / Fundamentals of Design Practice / level 5: Professional Practice: Live Design Briefs / Developing Design Practice / Professional Practice: Identity & Branding / Ethical Design / level 6: Major Project in Graphic Design / Professional Practice: Set Briefs / Professional Practice: Promotion & Employability / Design Studio Practice.
- Unit coordinator for two level 5 units: Professional Practice: Identity & Branding / Professional Practice: Live Design Briefs. Responsibilities here include the writing, planning, delivery and assessment of content for these units.
- Level 6 coordinator; responsible for ensuring that all administrative and organisational tasks are dealt with in connection to this year group. This also includes overseeing a PDP tutorial program, and managing the level 6 Moodle content.
- Additional academic roles include: coordinator of the BA (Hons) Graphic Design Summer London Show, coordinator of the BA(Hons) Graphic Design alumni network.
My current research interests are focused on exploring the existence of heraldic language within 21st Century British society. This includes looking at how heraldic language is used in corporate and cultural branding, and the parallels between the ancient practice of heraldry and the contemporary practice of brand identity design.
Further research interests concern graduate employability, with a focus on developing ways to make more meaningful links with industry.