School of Biological Sciences
- Qualifications: BSc(Hons) Marine Biology
- Role Title: Postgraduate Research Student, IMS Postgraduate Representative
- Address: Institute of Marine Sciences, School of Biological Sciences, Ferry Road, Portsmouth, PO4 9LY
- Telephone: 02392845797
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: Biological Sciences
- Faculty: Science
I studied at Newcastle University for my undergraduate degree in Marine Biology and graduated in 2013. After I graduated, I continued to work in the retail side of the pet and aquatics industry as I had been doing for many years previously. I also worked as a graduate teaching assistant in the science department of an 11-18 academy for a year. In February 2015, I moved to the south of England to begin a two year MPhil at the University of Portsmouth.
My project which is funded by UK-Bred is focused on the marine aquarium trade, specifically invertebrates within the trade and how they can be cultured. This will include:
- Taking stock of which invertebrates are being sold and kept within the trade using an online questionnaire for hobbyists and retailers.
- Reproductive trials with key invertebrate species.
- Assessing the profitability of each successful method using a business model and market assessment.
- Marine Conservation
- Marine aquarium trade
- Animal welfare and husbandry
- Outreach and education
Dr Gordon Watson (Principal Lecturer, School of Biological Sciences, University of Portsmouth)
Dr Joanne Preston (Lecturer in Marine Biology, University of Portsmouth)
Dr Anna Scott (Lecturer, Southern Cross University, Australia)
Tony Evans (UK-Bred Ltd.)