School of Computing
Dr Alexander Gegov
- Qualifications: BSc, MSc, PhD, DSc, PgC
- Role Title: Reader in Computational Intelligence, PhD Admissions
- Address: Buckingham Building, Lion Terrace, Portsmouth PO1 3HE UK
- Telephone: +44 (0)23 9284 6381
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Computing
- Faculty: Faculty of Technology
I am currently Reader in Computational Intelligence in the School of Computing and I have been Associate Dean Research for the Faculty of Technology in the past. I have a PhD in Control Systems and a DSc in Intelligent Systems – both from the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences. I have been a recipient of a national award for the best young researcher from the Bulgarian Union of Scientists. I have been Humboldt Guest Researcher at the Universities of Duisburg and Wuppertal in Germany as well as EU Visiting Researcher at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands.
My research interests are in the development of computational intelligence methods and their application for modeling and simulation of complex systems and networks. I have authored four research monographs and more than ten book chapters which have been published by Springer. I have also published research papers in a wide range of peer-reviewed journals and conferences including the IEEE. I have presented invited lectures and tutorials at IEEE and EPSRC International Conferences and Summer Schools on Fuzzy Systems, Intelligent Systems, Computational Intelligence, Cybernetics and Complexity Science.
I have been actively involved in PhD supervision and examination. I have been Co-investigator on research projects funded by EPSRC, CST and SEEDA. I have been an Associate Editor for the IEEE Journal Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, the Elsevier Journal of Fuzzy Sets and Systems, the IOS Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems and the Atlantis Journal of Computational Intelligence Systems. I have also been Reviewer for several journals, including IEEE journals, and I've been an Assessor for three national research councils including the EPSRC. I have served as Technical Committee Member for the IEEE Society of Systems, Man and Cybernetics.
- Fuzzy Logic Theory and Applications (BSc)
- Reliable and Secure Systems (BSc)
- Software Project Management (MSc)
- Development of computational intelligence methods using rule-based systems, fuzzy logic, neural networks and evolutionary algorithms
- Validation of these methods for management, modelling, simulation and control of complex processes characterised by features such as nonlinearity, uncertainty, dimensionality and structure
- Application of these methods in a wide range of areas including transportation, business, healthcare and environment