School of Creative Technologies
Mr Ben Thompson
- Qualifications: BA (Hons)
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer; Section Lead: Film and Broadcasting; Course Leader – BA (Hons) Film Production
- Address: Eldon Building, Winston Churchill Avenue, Portsmouth PO1 2DJ
- Telephone: 023 9284 5693
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Creative Technologies
- Faculty: Creative and Cultural Industries
Presently, I hold an academic position as Principal Lecturer, Section Lead for the Film and Broadcasting department with the School of Creative Technologies at The University of Portsmouth. This consists of two highly successful and Creative Skillset accredited courses: BA (Hons) Film Production and BSC (Hons) Television and Broadcasting. I am also Course Leader for BA (Hons) Film Production. I manage approximately 450+ students and 15+ academic staff. I have over 10 years’ experience as an Educator/Lecturer in the Television and Film sector.
In my other life I was a highly experienced Broadcast Television Lighting Cameraman. I have worked for a whole range of UK and international broadcasters, production companies and corporate clients including BBC, ITV, Endemol, BSKYB, Disney, Granada, RDF, Honda, Ducati, Unilever - shooting News, TV Factual, Documentaries, Live TV and Multi-camera pre-recorded TV shows, Drama, Commercials and high-end corporate productions. Also an experienced Steadicam Operator. Formally had the role of Head of Production for an independent production company based in London, where I produced documentaries and business programmes; and managed high-end film projects for leading UK and International clients, brands and charities; such as Honda, Unilever, Kingfisher Group, Novo Nordisk, Selfridges, Oxford University, World Health Organisation, etc. This involved filming projects extensively in UK, Europe and US.
I am a full member of GTC – The Guild of Television Camera Professionals, which is an independent, international organisation that cares about TV camerawork and the people who make it their craft. Members are experienced cameramen and camerawomen who operate cameras professionally in all areas of broadcasting.
I am currently Unit Coordinator for Graduate Film (40 credits), which is the final major project unit as part of the BA Film Production course. I also Unit Coordinate Underwater Filming and Media (20 credits). My specialism is Cinematography and Camera Craft, as well as Documentary and Fiction short film production.
My current research activity involves practice-based research. I am a member of an internal Screen Practice Research Group and I continue to make short films, documentaries, as well as Light and operate cameras professionally.
- My last short documentary film All About Dad explores the subject of modern fatherhood through the stories of three unconventional dads. The film identifies the realities and experiences of three subjects as they strive to become a father in modern society. The film is presented as candid, intimate testimonial interviews intercut with 2D hand drawn animations.
- I am currently in development of my next documentary film which centres on girls football – grass roots to the professional game – working in collaboration with BBC Sport.