School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
In SEES we are on hand to guide you in your choice of career and help you to get your first graduate job. Throughout your course we help you to plan for your future.
We do this by:
- Making sure jobs and careers are part of all our degree programmes
- Talking to potential employers to make sure we are helping you develop skills that they are looking for
- Organising Job and Placement Fairs which give you the opportunity to meet potential employers before you have graduated. We also help students attend other specialist career events locally and nationally.
- Maintaining strong links with potential employers which means we can offer great student placements and learning at work opportunities
The University careers advisors are also on hand to help with applications and interview training, and providing information on latest careers news and events.
Here are some examples of where our graduates are now:
- Angelina Varchione
- Studied: BEng Engineering Geology and Geotechnics
- Current job: Geotechnical Engineer
Before officially receiving her degree, Angelina had two offers from engineering companies and subsequently accepted a job with GEA (Geotechnical and Environmental Associates) at the head office based in St Albans. Her role at GEA incorporates office and site work where she is involved on a day-to-day basis in all that goes into designing, supervising and interpreting ground investigation data for construction projects.
I chose my degree as it is an applied course which was instrumental in securing my job. My boss specifically wanted a graduate from Portsmouth with my degree. I was very fortunate to have such great lecturers in my department who supply a mix of academic and industry experience and passion for their subjects.
- Iain Vincent
- Studied: BSc Marine Environmental Science
- Current job: Director & Consultant
After graduating from the Portsmouth Iain founded De-energise Limited, a consultancy company that identifies energy reduction strategies for companies in the private sector. The company specialises in modelling energy consumption, outputting related carbon emissions and developing scenarios that feature a range of opportunities to reduce energy consumption and reduce emissions. It took over 12 months until the company had developed its systems and established a foundation upon which successful commercial work could be undertaken.
As the sole director of De-energise I manage the strategic development of the business and engage with the consultancy aspect of our work. Although I read Marine Environmental Science, I enjoyed the aspects of my course that related more closely to climate change and carbon management and opted for units that were closer to this area of study. My degree provided the inspiration to establish De-energise.