School of Education and Sociology
Dr Joanne Brindley
- Qualifications: MA, SFHEA, PgCLTHE, RDH, RDT, DHealthSci
- Role Title: Academic Professional Apprenticeship Course Leader
- Address: St George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 5336
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Education and Sociology
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
In 2006 I became a Senior Dental Care Professional Teaching Fellow, at the University of Portsmouth Dental Academy (UPDA). During my time at UPDA I held a variety of leadership roles including, Placement, Year and Clinical Lead.
My Master’s dissertation explored the use of e-portfolios to capture the student learning journey. The findings from this influenced my Professional Doctorate research, which resulted in an illuminative evaluation of the use and relevance of reflective practice in primary care dental education and real-world practice.
During my time at UPDA I was responsible for co-ordinating and supervising undergraduate research projects, which spanned independent primary research, critical appraisal of literature and clinical audit.
The commitment and enthusiasm I have in supporting education and professional development is reflected in my current role as Course Lead for the Academic Professional Apprenticeship, which is the preferred route for all new to teaching staff across the university.
I have continued to work in dental education, holding a position as a Quality Assurance (Education) Inspector for the General Dental Council (GDC) since 2012, in addition to being an invited GDC Education Reference Group Member.
- Academic Professional Apprenticeship Course Lead
- Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education Course Lead
In 2017 I was awarded a Colgate Robin Davies Research Award. My main research interests are:
- Reflective practice
- Professional Development Planning
- Mentorship and coaching