School of Education and Sociology
Mr Mark Corominas-Casey
- Qualifications: BA (QTS) Mathematics & Education
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer, Initial Teacher Training (Mathematics)
- Address: St. George's Building, 141 High Street, Portsmouth, Hampshire PO1 2HY
- Telephone: 023 9284 5220
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Education and Sociology
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I lead the PGCE Mathematics course, having joined the School of Education and Childhood Studies in 2015. Prior to this, I worked in a local secondary school for nearly twenty years as a Teacher of Mathematics and Head of Year.
As a subject teacher, I have always been keen to develop pupils’ positive attitude to Mathematics, linking topics with their real-life experiences and local environment. This is enhanced by the exciting new opportunities to improve pupils’ engagement and performance; I have particular interest in exploring new pedagogies such as ‘Flipped learning’.
The Head of Year role gave me an insight into the pastoral aspect of school life, dealing with safeguarding issues, alternative provision, Social Care and the work of the Youth Offending Team. Whether from an academic or pastoral perspective, I always work to promote school life as a positive and rewarding experience for young people.
I also have experience of school governance, having worked with schools in both the Primary and Secondary sectors.
- PGCE Mathematics – Course Leader
- FdA Learning Support - Supporting Numeracy
- NCETM Personal Development Lead
- Child Welfare Officer – Football Association
I am keen on supporting the development of both new and established Maths teachers. I work closely with the Portsmouth Maths hub as well as with local and regional schools to identify practical application of contemporary theory as well as seeking to inform the field of research from a practitioner perspective. My current key research interests include:
- Use of education theory to inform the teaching of mathematics
- The role of education policy in changing pedagogy