School of Health Sciences and Social Work
Recognising advancement of gender equality: representation, progression and success for all
The Athena SWAN (AS) Charter was established by the Equality Challenge Unit to encourage and recognise commitment to advancing the careers of women in science, technology, engineering, maths and medicine (STEMM) employment in higher education and research.
The School of Health Sciences and Social Work has a strong female presence and adheres to the principles of the AS charter. The School’s self-assessment team (SAT) is committed to supporting the advancement of women’s careers and establishing a satisfactory work-life balance for all staff. We aim to develop an inclusive culture that benefits everyone.
We have submitted for an AS Departmental Bronze award in April 2016. The objectives in our AS Action Plan are:
- To improve monitoring and analysis of staff and student data
- To ensure equality of student recruitment
- To ensure equality of staff recruitment, career development and promotion opportunities
- To ensure consistent implementation of flexible and transparent workload management
- To maintain a School culture that adheres to Athena SWAN principles
- To improve student awareness of Athena SWAN principles
The School will be performing annual culture surveys of both staff and students in order to monitor the impact of our actions against our Athena SWAN objectives.
Athena SWAN Sites: