School of Health Sciences and Social Work
Dr Assaf Givati
- Qualifications: PhD, MPH
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer
- Address: James Watson West 2 King Richard 1st Road Portsmouth PO1 2FR
- Telephone: 023 92 844418
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: SHSSW
- Faculty: Faculty of Science
I grew up in a beautiful kibbutz on the shore of the Dead Sea in the Judean desert. After traveling the world, between 1992 and 2001 I took on education and practice in Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) in several ‘mainstream’ clinics for Integrated Care in Israel. Between 2002 and 2003 I completed Masters in Public Health (MPH) at the University of Maastricht in the Netherlands before joining the University of Portsmouth in 2004, mostly at the School of Health Sciences & Social Work. In 2012 I completed my doctoral thesis exploring professional strategies of acupuncturists and homeopaths in England in their effort to enhance their mainstream societal status.
Course leader of the BSc (Hons) Human Physiology.
- Disease Modelling and Surveillance
- Research Methods
- Environment Physiology & Health
- Critical appraisal of Health, Medical and Scientific Publications
- Health professionals’ adaptation to societal and economic uncertainties, intensifying demands and growing challenges to healthcare provision.
- Practitioners of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) mainstreaming strategies and the negotiation of paradigmatic tensions within biomedical framework of practice and education.