School of Languages and Applied Linguistics
Research and Consultancy
Research is a core strength of the school. Many of our staff are members of the Centre for European & International Studies Research (CEISR), the largest centre for European Studies research in the UK. European Studies research at the University of Portsmouth was ranked top in the UK in the 2008 UK Research Assessment Exercise, according to the Research Power Index compiled by the highly respected journal Research Fortnight.
We welcome applications for PhD study, and for the new MRes Humanities programme. For more details, visit CEISR.
The School is involved with a variety of consultancy and knowledge transfer projects that bring our research into business, government and the local community, including:
- contracts for PGCE subject knowledge enhancement programmes;
- a medical English project with the NHS;
- ULTC funded research on lecturing to international students;
- a professional English programme for Chinese Sea Captains;
- schools liaison;
- an annual translation conference and seminars aimed at professionals and academics
- corpus linguistics projects, such as such as the 'Using Corpora in Translation' webinar for eCPD
- multi-media and electronic learning packages.
- a large teacher training contract with a south asian country, in partnership with several UK and overseas
We also offer a range of professionally relevant programmes, including Applied Languages, Applied Linguistics and TESOL, and our international recognised MA Translation courses both on campus and Distance Learning versions.
For more details, or to discuss future projects, please contact Begoña Rodríguez de Céspedes.