School of Languages and Applied Linguistics
Dr Marie McCullagh
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) Modern Languages, MA International Marketing, Trinity Licentiate Diploma in TESOL, MA Applied Linguistics and Materials Development, PhD Materials Development in ESP
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer Professional Communication and Applied Linguistics
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6172
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I have been involved in teaching ESP/ESAP for many years both in higher education and the private sector.
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and a member of MATSDA (Materials Development Association)
I am Course Leader for our MA Communication and Applied Linguistics DL.
Postgraduate: Materials Writing, Technical Communication, Research Methods, Academic Writing for Postgraduates, Communication in the Workplace
Undergraduate: Marketing and Communication, Workplace Discourse, Writing to Persuade
MA/PhD Supervision: Materials Evaluation and Materials Writing
My research interests centre around the effective integration of language and communication skills in learning materials, and the use of authentic texts to stimulate learner engagement. I am also interested in the persuasive aspects of language, especially in doctor patient interactions and patient information.
- Materials Writing: ESP and ESAP
- Doctor-Patient Communication
- Technical Communication
- Language across borders (LAB)