School of Languages and Applied Linguistics
Dr Peter Watkins
- Qualifications: PhD (University of Portsmouth), MA (University of Portsmouth), BA University of Sheffield)
- Role Title: Principal Lecturer
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6130
- Email: email@example.com
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I have been involved in teacher education for many years, including both pre-service and in-service programmes. I have worked in both the private and state sectors and with teachers from all over the world. One of my main interests is in how teachers learn teaching and how they are best supported in that process. I am also interested in the design and evaluation of material for teacher education and ELT teaching more generally.
I am on the review panels of two peer-reviewed journals.
I am a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
I am the course leader for our MA in Applied Linguistics and TESOL programmes and teach on two units on those programmes: Theory and Practice of TESOL and Analysing, Evaluating and Writing Material. As well as teaching I supervise dissertations at both postgraduate and undergraduate levels. I teach on a level 4 unit, Language, Learning and Teaching and also teach on an EFL based unit.
My principal research interests are in:
- teacher education/teacher learning
- materials writing and evaluation