School of Languages and Applied Linguistics
Mrs Sarah Griffin-Mason
- Qualifications: BA Hons, MA, MITI
- Role Title: Senior Lecturer in Translation Studies
- Address: Park Building, King Henry 1 Street, Portsmouth PO1 2DZ
- Telephone: 023 9284 6109
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Languages and Area Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I am an experienced freelance translator, editor and educator teaching translation at MA and UG levels on a half-time contract while running a freelance translation and editing business. I trained as an in-house translator with the InterPress Service in Montevideo in the 1990s before graduating with a distinction in the MA in Translation Studies at Portsmouth in 2005.
I worked for many years as a translator for UNICEF The Americas and Caribbean Regional Office, for the scientific publishers Elsevier on the bilingual medical journal Actas Dermosifiliográficas and for various other private clients on a variety of projects (see my website www.griffin-mason.com for more details).
I am currently Chair of the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (ITI), a professional association that works to promote the translation and interpreting professions, build a stronger community of practice and perpetuate current best professional practice. I am also a member of the Mediterranean Editors and Translators (MET) and in all my roles I express a deep commitment to improving translator training.
I have taught Specialised Translation at the University of Portsmouth, Bristol University and London Metropolitan since 2005 and, more recently, the Professional Aspects of Translation unit that has run at Portsmouth for the past two years. I also supervise undergraduate and postgraduate translation projects and dissertations in my areas of specialisation.
- MA Specialised Translation
- MA Professional Aspects of Translation
- MA Professional Portfolio
- UG Translation Theory and Practice
- UG Text Analysis and Translation