School of Area Studies, History, Politics and Literature
Dr Maria Cannon
- Qualifications: BA (Hons) History (Leeds), MA Medieval History (Leeds), PhD History (Northumbria)
- Role Title: Lecturer in Early Modern History
- Address: Milldam, Burnaby Road, Portsmouth PO1 3AS
- Telephone: 023 9284 2206
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department: School of Social, Historical and Literary Studies
- Faculty: Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
I joined the University of Portsmouth in 2016, having previously taught on the MA History of Family programme at the University of Limerick. My research interests lie broadly in the history of early modern families, particularly the expression of emotions in families and how they adapted to changes in structure through the life cycle. My PhD thesis looked at parent-child relationships in early modern England and offers a new perspective on how aristocratic and gentry families negotiated disorder and crisis within patriarchal and hierarchical structures. My postdoctoral work will focus on the challenges posed by remarriage and the blending of families in early modern England.
I teach on the undergraduate units History at University, Historical Methods, The Early Modern World and Introduction to Historical Research.