Overseas travel

Occupational Health Service information for overseas travellers

Please note that the in-house travel clinic has temporarily been suspended from September 2018. Please see below the list of alternative travel clinics or consult your GP Practice if you require this service. A list of local travel clinics can be found here.

Prior to travel

Please check the specific travel health advice and vaccination requirements for your destination on the recommended website, www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk. Generally all travellers visiting Europe, U.S.A, Canada, New Zealand and Australia do not need additional vaccinations as long as they have been satisfactorily immunised for life in Britain, but please check this as it is subject to change.

Other countries will require vaccinations and precautions against malaria - see www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk for up to date advice. 

It is recommended that travellers to Europe carry an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). To apply for the card, either call 0845 606 2030 or apply online

Please do not hesitate to contact the Occupational Health Nurses on ext. 3187 should you have any questions regarding the information given on the above website or any other aspect of your travel health.

Please also check the medical advice on our insurers travel website Drum Cussac for health information specific to the country you are visiting. Select the country you are visiting through 'Map', click on the country name when the country page appears, then click on 'Travel risk advice'.

Download this useful leaflet for Travel health: Travel Well advice sheet (.pdf)


For all vaccinations, current health advice and anti-malarial prescriptions, an appointment will be required with the Occupational Health Service (ext.3187).  We will then be able to give any vaccines required, depending on your previous medical history and any current health conditions. All vaccinations will be charged at cost price to your department. Any other charges incurred for your vaccinations or anti-malarials can be claimed back with your other trip expenses from your Department.

Ideally, you should consider your travel health as soon as possible, once you know your departure date, (ideally 8 weeks in advance), as some vaccines cannot be given together or take a period of time before they become effective.

If Yellow Fever vaccination is required for your destination, you will require certificated evidence of this to enter those countries stipulated. This will need to be dated at least 10 days prior to arrival (if a 1st dose). 

First aid kits

Traveller's first aid kits are available from the Occupational Health Secretary. Please telephone ext. 3187 to arrange collection.

These kits contain sterile needles, syringes etc as well as some basic dressings. We would recommend you take one of these with you when travelling to less developed countries or if you are proposing to undertake fieldwork.

On your return

If you have experienced any health problems whilst abroad, please let the Occupational Health Service know on your return. If you feel unwell on your return to the UK, please contact your GP and inform the Occupational Health Service (ext.3187).


If you choose to ignore the current recommended vaccine and travel health advice for the countries which you will be visiting, you will be travelling at your own risk.