Overseas travel

Risk assessment

All travellers must register on our insurers travel advice website Drum Cussac This website contains valuable information for your safety when travelling abroad, including Country Reports and regular security alerts.

After registering, please find the country you are visiting using 'Map'.  Click on the country name link to bring up the Country Report (pdf) and travel advice.  We recommend that you print and email a copy of the country report/s to yourself. 

If any of the risk indicators are 'Moderate 3.00' or above, you will need to complete a full risk assessment and submit this the University Insurance Officer.

Points to note

1. A Risk Assessment only covers staff for one trip

If you have previously completed a Risk Assessment for a country you are revisiting, you will still need to complete a new assessment, taking into account the up-to-date advice available on the recommended websites (links below).  If multiple staff are travelling on a trip together, one assessment can be completed to cover all those attending. 

2. Fieldwork trips have different procedures  

Please go to Fieldwork and field trips policy or email the University Health and Safety Officer for advice and assistance.  Please note - if your field trip is to a high risk country, or you are conducting hazardous research/activities in a high risk country, you will need to complete both a Travel Risk Assessment AND a Fieldwork Risk Assessment.  

3. Risk Assessments are NOT a paper-pushing exercise

The key concern is that Heads of Department/Line Managers and those travelling have fully considered the risks, are making an informed judgement on whether or not to travel, and are aware of the steps to take in an emergency. These approval procedures are here to help the University undertake its duty of care to our staff and students.

Recommended Websites

The following websites must be referred to when completing the Risk Assessment form: