Study Abroad

Outgoing Students

Permission to travel

All students participating in an overseas study or work placement must complete the Permission to Travel Form.  Students who do not complete the form may not be granted permission to travel and will not be covered by the university insurance during their placement.  Please read the information on this page before completing the Permission to Travel Form.

Personal details

  • Your personal details as stated on the Permission to Travel Form will be retained by the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team for the purpose of contacting you with information relevant to your placement and to ensure the University's duty of care
  • Your personal details may be shared with your academic department if required

Pre-departure planning and cultural awareness

  • All outgoing students should research their host institution/company before departure to familiarise themselves with the location, facilities, accommodation, orientation activities etc.
  • All outgoing students should also research the country and city being visited before departure
  • Outgoing students are responsible for arranging their own accommodation during their placement and must provide the address and contact details to the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team at the earliest opportunity
  • It is advisable to consult with students who have undertaken placements to the same or similar destinations previously to find out more about the local environment, accommodation etc.


Please ensure that you read the Insurance page and download the relevant documents. 

Erasmus placements

If you are participating in Erasmus you must ensure that the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team has received your Erasmus Mobility Contract prior to your departure.