Study Abroad

Outgoing students

What can I do?

People sitting in a European cafe

The options available for studying or working overseas depend on your degree programme. For some degrees, a period overseas is compulsory. In these cases, you may have discussed your options with your Department as early as the first term in your first year. Alternatively, it may be that going overseas is an option that you have not considered yet.

In all cases, it is essential that you contact your Course Leader in the first instance to check whether your degree programme can accommodate a period of time spend away from the University. They will be able to advise you about any restrictions (e.g compulsory units to obtain professional accreditation), help you identify suitable placements and put you in touch with important contacts (e.g departmental exchange coordinators, placement office).

Consequently the following information is provided as a guide only for the options that may be available to you:

Study Placement

It is only possible to undertake a study placement at an institution that the University of Portsmouth has a student exchange agreement with.

Many students prefer this option as it offers a different academic style to the UK system and the opportunity to gain new skills to implement in their academic and vocational life.

To find out our Erasmus+ and non-Erasmus+ destinations, please contact the Exchanges and Study Abroad Team.

Students attending one of our Erasmus+ partner institutions in Europe may be eligible to receive some funding under the Erasmus+ programme to help with any extra costs incurred while abroad.

Work Placement

If your course requires an overseas work placement (to an Erasmus+ or non-Erasmus+ destination), or you wish to gain work rather than academic experience, you can apply to do a work placement. Your Departmental Coordinator must approve the placement to meet certain academic outcomes.

Students have recently undertaken work placements in Europe, Latin America and Africa. If language is an issue, a number of companies are willing and able to communicate in English, or you could look into the US, Canada or Australia as options.

As with study placements, students working in an Erasmus+ participating country may be eligible to receive some funding to help with any extra costs while abroad.