University Admissions Centre

Before you apply

We're building our new website.

For information about what to do before you apply, visit the relevant pages below.

Postgraduate taught
Postgraduate research

How do I apply?

For information on how to apply to the University, please visit the application, fees and funding page.

What qualifications do I need to receive an offer?

On each course page you will find entry requirements for the course, along with more detail on exactly what qualifications we will consider for each course. The University uses the UCAS tariff to express our entry requirements for most undergraduate courses. Offers made will include the total number of tariff points required and the qualifications and subjects from which they should be gained.

Typical entry requirements for many of our courses are expressed using tariff point ranges. A tariff point range is a guide to the normal minimum-maximum points in typical entry requirements, such as 104 - 120. Individual offers will normally be made within the publicised tariff range, and for the most popular courses we expect to make offers at the upper end of the range.

Is there a deadline for applying?

The normal closing date for UCAS to receive applications for full-time undergraduate courses is 15 January. If possible, try to ensure that your application reaches UCAS by this date.

UCAS will continue to send us all applications it receives after 15 January (until 30 June), but we can’t guarantee they will be given the same level of consideration or offer as those that arrive by 15 January.

Postgraduate and part-time courses generally don’t have an application deadline, however if there is a deadline it will be displayed on the course page on our website.

International students are advised to apply by the end of May for September entry as it can take three months to obtain a visa in some countries. Please visit the international pages for more information.

Can I apply for direct entry?

We accept applications for direct entry onto our courses. If you’d like to apply for direct entry, simply select the required year (2, 3 or 4) when you complete your application.

What is your policy on data protection?

The University of Portsmouth, in its role as a centre of knowledge, research, education and training, holds a great deal of information about the people who study or work here. The way in which the University manages this personal information is governed by the Data Protection Act 1998

The University's commitment to managing personal data properly is underpinned by the University's Data Protection Policy.

For more information either contact the University's data protection officer Samantha Hill by e-mail at or read the data protection information.

Can someone else discuss my application on my behalf?

If you are applying through UCAS, you will be asked to provide a name in the Nominated access section of the application form.

Here you can fill in the details of someone you want to be in charge of your university application if you can't be contacted. This could be a parent, although if you are planning to go on holiday during the time in which you will be making decisions about university, make sure it is somebody who will still be at home.

This will be the only other person we can discuss details of your application with, so please choose carefully.

What information do I need to support my application?

The University requires reference(s) in support of your application to help assess your suitability for your chosen course. If you are applying for a postgraduate or research degree we require two references. If you are applying for an undergraduate degree, one reference will suffice. If you are applying through UCAS, you will be asked to nominate a referee as part of the application process.

References should be provided by one of your teachers/tutors or by someone who is able to comment on your academic ability as well as your potential to succeed on your chosen programme of study.

If you are not in full-time education, you should ask a responsible person who knows you to provide your reference(s). This could be an employer, training officer, careers adviser, a teacher on a recent relevant further education course, or a senior colleague in employment or voluntary work. Your referee should know you well enough to write about you and to comment whether you are suitable for higher education. Please list the name and contact details for your referee in the space provided. We are unable to accept references from family, other relatives or friends.

Please note that it is your responsibility to contact your referee(s). We are unable to make a decision about your application until we receive your reference.

Who can provide a reference for me?

Your referee should know you in an official capacity and be able to write about you and your suitability for higher education.

If you're at school or college, or left recently, ask your principal, head teacher, teacher or tutor.

If you left school or college several years ago, ask your current or previous employer or, in the case of voluntary work, your supervisor.

What shall I write in my personal statement?

Include information that will help support your application, for example the reasons for choosing the course, the aspects of the course that interest you and any work experience or activities that are relevant to your chosen subject.

Pick one or two things and write about the skills you have learned through them.

Recent activities are better than those you did in junior school. If you have taken, or are planning to take, a year out, please give your reasons why.