Information for new students

Facilities and support



We offer you an extensive range of facilities and services while you’re at University and we encourage you to use them. 

IT services – to register and become a student you will need to get your computer account, username and password. Visit and follow the instructions. Once you have registered and applied for your student card, you will have access to your computer account.

Student IT Induction – Once you’re here, Information Services (IS) will offer you a brief IT induction. This will show you how to get the best from, as well as printing, remote access and our wireless network.

You can download MS Office 365 for free!

Student IT Support - You can get free, face-to -face support for University related student IT problems. Either go to the Student IT Help Centre (next to the Students’ Union) or visit an IT help desk in any Open Access IT Suite. Alternatively, help is available via the IT Help webpage and our 24/7 support telephone line (023 9284 7777).

IT open access areas - Whether you want to work independently or collaboratively, you’ll have access to PCs, Macs, self-issue laptops and printing facilities. And friendly IT Help Advisers are there to help with any PC and printing problems during opening ours. There are four Open Access areas around campus. They’re at the Library and in Park, Portland and Anglesea buildings. All are open from 8am. The library suite is open 24/7 from induction week until the end of the exam period, closing for just a few days over Christmas. All Open Access areas have large displays that show up-to-the-minute PC and room availability. To check opening hours, visit

The University Library is a great place to study, meet friends and access all the information you need. Located at the heart of campus, it is open 24/7 during term time. It’s supported by selfservice book borrowing and return, and round-the-clock online chat and telephone support. Designed around students studying together, the ground floor features group study booths, soft seating areas, meeting pods and a café. Upstairs, you can choose how to work at any time – from bookable group study rooms to separate zones for social learning and individual silent study

The Students' Union Building is the place to be outside of your studies, packed with places to hang out, things to do and great places to eat. There are hammocks to chill out in, comfortable sofa's and seating, free printing stations, laptops to borrow, meeting rooms to use, shops, cafes and great outdoor spaces.

Food on campus – there are 10 cafés on the University campus, each offering drinks, snacks and meals at student-friendly prices. Food on Campus offers a loyalty points scheme for free drinks.

Student support services

Academic Skills Unit can help you develop the academic skills to study successfully. Whatever your level of study, you can book a confidential one-to-one tutorial to discuss your progress. ASK also offers group workshops and a selection of useful handouts. You can also access Skills4Study, an interactive online study skills resource, available via Moodle. To arrange a one-to-one session, call 023 9284 3462 or email

Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre can assist you with advice and referral. Our service is confidential and may include offering reasonable adjustment based on your individual need. With your permission, we can work closely with a range of professional services, your academic department and external agencies – whatever is appropriate. If you register yourself on Moodle for ASDAC Study Resources, you can access some support for study skills online. To arrange an appointment or have a chat about how we can help, please contact us on 023 9284 3462 or at

Student Finance Centre is here to help you manage your finances as a student. We provide information, advice and guidance, and the administration of hardship funds.

Student Housing processes applications for Halls of Residence, including the allocation of halls places and helping students secure private rented accommodation where needed. We also offer a year-round advice and support service on any issues relating to private rented accommodation and living in the local community.

Student Careers Services - Careers and Employability are on Guildhall Walk and we are open all year round. We offer a wide range of services including help with your CV, careers advice, job and volunteering opportunities, business start-up advice, and much more. There are hundreds of opportunities advertised on your online careers platform including part-time work, graduate opportunities, a virtual volunteering bank and regular event listings. We also offer lots of support and resources to help you find employment. In addition, we can help increase your experience by volunteering or supporting your enterprising or freelance ideas.

Work Placement Opportunities - many courses at the university enable you to do a year's work or self-employment placement. These are excellent opportunities to gain experience working in an environment that interests you and a large number of students get graduate jobs with their placement employer. Your first point of contact is your placement office in your Faculty.  

Student Wellbeing Service offers help with areas that can affect your studies or stop you enjoying university life – like stress, relationship problems, bereavement, feeling anxious or depressed, or other mental health concerns. You can choose to use the online resources and self-help materials independently, attend workshops or courses on issues such as managing stress or tackling procrastination, or register for a one-to-one appointment. 

Students’ Union Advice Service – you are more than likely to sail through your University career with no problems at all. But just in case you do fall into a problem with your course, fall out with your housemates, or just need someone to talk to, then the Union offers an independent advice service at the heart of the city campus. Their team of trained advisors is available all year round to offer that helping hand if it's needed, whatever the scenario.

University Chaplains - Come along to the Chaplaincy for a confidential chat, somewhere to have lunch with friends, or just some quiet space. You’ll also find a small multi-faith room for reflection and personal prayer. You’ll find us on the ground floor of the Nuffield Centre – we’ve even got free tea and coffee during the week. There are also Muslim Prayer Rooms, with associated ablutions, in both the Nuffield and Mercantile Buildings. Separate facilities are provided for Brothers and Sisters.

Maths Café offers free maths support, and provides advice and assistance with your mathematical skills. Come to one of our friendly, daily drop-in sessions (at locations across campus), develop your maths skills at a workshop or browse our resources online.

MyPort Information Hub is located in the Nuffield Building and is staffed with a friendly team of customer service advisors ready to answer any questions you may have across a range of University student services. Our aim is to resolve your query as quickly as possible and give you the best possible service experience. Any queries that require more specialist support will be transferred to the relevant University student service specialist teams. 

students talking



If you haven’t done so before you arrive, make sure you find time to register with a doctor as soon as possible. A list of doctors is available via myport or you can drop into the reception of the Nuffield Centre to pick up a list. There is also a GP surgery on campus for full-time students living in Portsmouth. 

If you have an ongoing condition, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy, it is even more important to register with a local doctor, and you should make relevant people – your tutor, lecturers and fellow students, for example – aware.

You may also wish to contact the Additional Support and Disability Advice Centre.


You can find help with how to register with a dentist on myport. To find an NHS dentist, you can contact the Portsmouth Dental Helpline. Visit

Local Hospital, Emergency Dental, and Emergency Departments

St Mary’s NHS Treatment Centre offers a fast and convenient service for a range of minor injuries and illnesses. You don’t need an appointment, just turn up during opening hours: Monday to Friday, 7.30am –10.00pm; weekends and Bank Holidays, 8.00am –10.00pm. The Centre is on Milton Road, Portsmouth PO3 6DW. If St Mary’s is closed or doesn't have the capability, the Accident and Emergency Department at Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham can help you with serious issues


We strongly advice that you check your vaccination status before arriving at the University. We recommend that you are immunised against meningitis C, measles, mumps and rubella before starting at the University. It is important that all first-year students are immunised against MMR. Students most likely not to be fully immunised against mumps are those born between 1983 and 1987. The Department of Health recommends that you ensure you are fully immunized even if you are older than the recommended age range.

Influenza  minimising the spread of infection is the single most effective way to slow the spread of diseases. Practice good respiratory and hand hygiene – remember to Catch it, Bin It, Kill It. For information on how to protect yourself against seasonal flu, visit

Meningitis C – the University strongly advises that all students, regardless of age, receive vaccination against meningitis C before coming to Portsmouth. International students can request this from a doctor they have registered with on arrival. The latest vaccination does not protect against all strains of meningitis, so all students should be aware of the symptoms of meningitis and remain vigilant. Find out more about relevant signs and symptoms.

If you need advice or medical treatment quickly and you can’t wait for a doctor’s appointment, call 111. If you need emergency medical treatment, you must call 999.

Communicating with you

MyPort, the student website, is your online resource for everything – from the latest news and events, to useful links and information on student services. You can also access your timetable, results and other information just for you.

Moodle is the University’s virtual learning environment, giving you access to information from your lecturers. You can access it from any device via or

Students' Union website- The Union website is home to news and events relating to student life from housing tips, student discounts and deals as well as general advice.

Google Mail  When you join, we’ll give you your own University email account with Google. We’ll use this to send you important information regularly. Your email address will be your forename. and you can keep your account for life, so you won’t have to transfer all your email and contacts when you leave.

Information screens and noticeboards are located in buildings and cafés across the campus. In faculty buildings they will display information specific to a department or course.

Student Opinion Panel – being part of the Student Opinion Panel is your chance to tell us what you think. We need your opinions on various aspects of your time here as a student. When you arrive at the University you will have the chance to register to be part of our Student Opinion Panel. As a panel member you will be asked to complete online surveys or join focus groups and, in return for your time, we will give you vouchers or the chance to win prizes.

Contact us